Friday, April 4, 2014

Pinterest is Relevant Folks!

In the past year, social media sites have been making additions to their programs, creating new apps and services while also fixing bugs and hiring “hackers” to help. In an article on Mashable.com we are informed of how much these fixes, innovations and additions are actually helping the sites to stay relevant and popular. More specifically; sites wanted to see how popular they were on the mobile front.

I personally don’t have a smart phone but, I have an iPod and iPad which are slaves to wifi. Therefore, my social media access is limited especially from a mobile standpoint. It was interesting to see that from a report from comScore, “Instagram users in the U.S. spend 98% of time with the network on mobile”. This apparently wasn’t surprising to Matt Petronzio, the author of the Mashable article because Instagram was actually a mobile-only site when it first came out and then later became desktop friendly.  


The second highest ranking mobile social media site is Pinterest which I thought was amazing. Users spend 92% of their time on mobile whereas Twitter users only chose the mobile experience 86% of the time.  This makes my inner Pinner sing with delight. I thought that Pinterest was mainly used by women who were crafting at home on their desktops. I feel so in-with-the-times now because whenever I latch onto wifi, I make additions to my boards. I also thought this was surprising because I always assumed that Twitter users essentially only used mobile because tweets are normally in “real-time” and not many people carry around their desktops.

2 comments:

  1. I saw this article on Mashable too and I had the same thought as you - I wondered about the Twitter stat at first. The more I thought about it, though, I wondered if the people who use Twitter have their feeds up as a tab on their desktop constantly, as a kind of real-time feed to the online world while they're at work. This would account for the 86% of users who access the website online, but it would also mean a significant number of Twitter users are working professionals, and I don't know if that's true now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't surprised that Instagram ranked highest among mobile social media site because I only use Instagram on my phone. Also this app relies on people uploading pictures which is mainly done now off of our phones. I wouldn't of thought that Pinterest would be the second highest ranking mobile social media site. I thought it would for sure be Twitter or Facebook. I love Pinterest but I use it more on my laptop than on my phone because I can see a lot more. However, I do occasionally use it on my phone when I'm out and about and remembered that I pinned a recipe or a workout that I wanted to do that day.

    ReplyDelete